Friday, October 8, 2010

Chapter III: Kayla's Request

Queen Titania was alerted to Kayla's injury and came to help.
"So this is the child who was attacked by the zagool." She place a hand on the bite and wove a spell, counteracting the poison.
When she awakened, Kayla looked into Queen Titania's purple eves."What is your name, child?" asked the red-haired queen.
"Kayla." said Kayla weakly.
"May I see your necklace?"Kayla handed her the necklace.
As Titania held it, she felt a familiar aura.
"So you are my neice." Titania said. "This necklace holds the soul of my sister Varla. Varla fell in love with a human and that love must have created you. Did she give this to you before she died?"
"No. I got it from Selenia. I was wondering something. Golda told me you could make me a fairy. Would you?" she clapped her hands pleadingly.
"Kayla, are you truly sure you want to give up your humanity? Why do you wish to join us?"
"Because I am unloved. If I am one of your kind, perhaps you will love me."
"Child, I cannot give you your wish just because you want it. However, you did come all this way. I believe I can do something." She placed a hand on Kayla's forehead and recited a spell.
Kayla felt as though she was falling. Everything around her grew bigger. Then she felt as though her entire body had turned to ice. Sharp pains assaulted her back."What have you done?" she exclaimed. "It hurts!"
"Nothing is gained without suffering. It is time you learned that."
Moments later, the change was complete. Kayla walked over to a mirror and looked at her new wings in awe. They were a deep turquoise. She tried to see if she could move them. After a few seconds, she got one to twitch. She laughed, marvelling at the new gift.
Titania called for one of her guards, a female fairy named Tolka. A brown-haired fairy entered the room moments later.
"Tolka, I want you to take care of this child. She was once under Selenia's thumb and wishes to be one of us."
"Your highness, if that is true, then I must refuse. May I speak freely?"Titania nodded. Unlike Selenia, she welcomed differences of opinion, provided they were reasonably presented.
"Do we know anything about this child?" asked Tolka. "She lived with Selenia. You naively think she is to be trusted? Your highness, for all we know, she could be working for Selenia!"
Kayla started to object, but Titania shushed her.
"I understand." said the queen. "But we cannot know for certain where her loyalty lies unless we test it. Besides, she is not a full-fledged fairy yet."
"What do you mean?" Kayla asked crossly. "I have wings! I'm pretty sure I can even work them and fly!" She tried to do so but was unable to fully control her pattern. She eventually landed and realized it would be best to remain as calm and silent as possible.
"I purposely left the spell unfinished." Titania explained. "You look like us, true. But you possess no magic. I am testing you and if you pass, you will gain magic."
"And how can I pass?" Kayla asked.
"My people are brave, unselfish, and resilient. You must show that you possess all these qualities. But I will not be so heartless as to give you no one to protect you. That is why I chose you, Tolka."
Tolka shook her head. "I feel you are making a mistake, my queen. But I suppose I can fulfill your request. We won't know what Selenia is planning otherwise." She turned to Kayla."What is your name?" Tolka asked."Kayla."
"Well Kayla, I think you need some clothes, so that's what we'll do first. Your human ones are now obviously too big."

No comments:

Post a Comment